Whenever the NBA owners and player’s association can agree on a new collective bargaining agreement the Detroit Pistons can resume addressing the roster. No trades or free agent signings can occur until then.
Currently, our only glaring hole is not having a true center on the roster, assuming you aren’t satisfied with 6’7″ Jason Maxiell manning the position when Greg Monroe and Ben Wallace aren’t in the game. While I expect rookie Vernon Macklin to make the team-but not the active roster-he was a power forward in college at Florida and players typically don’t assume “bigger” positions in the move to the pros. Our only options at this point will be to try to move some of our “bad” contracts in SGs Richard Hamilton and Ben Gordon and PF Ben Gordon for a center, or attempt to find a diamond in the rough in the 2011 free agent class.
Here is a link to all the 2011 free agents that had their contracts expire after the 2010-2011 season, as well as some others that have been linked to the NBA: http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm
Assuming that Greg Monroe is going to play primarily at C and that Ben Wallace is ready and able to be his primary backup, we can take a flyer on a young big with potential. Allow me to throw out some names:
- FC Hilton Armstrong, Atlanta Hawks Free Agent, UCONN. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEtKjACpQEg
- FC Josh McRoberts, Indiana Pacers Free Agent, Duke. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRGy_LQQj5U
- FC Jason Smith, New Orleans Hornets, Colorado. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HgqN3I8v1M
- C Aaron Gray, New Orleans Hornets, Pittsburgh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkQU2Q2fRcw
- C Kyrylo Fesenko, Utah Jazz, Ukraine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rj4RYaHiu0